Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Personal Story -- Consequences of an OWI

Someone we know was kind enough to share his personal story of being charged for operating while intoxicated (OWI) and the consequences and regret he felt afterwards:

I recently got charged for under age consumption, and operating while intoxicated (OWI).  Although it hasn’t been long since the arrest, I feel it has affected me personally, my family, and my friends.  It changed how I act and what I do.  Not only did I get in trouble, but I let my family members down.  I was always told not to drive and when I got in trouble it changed how I thought about the situation.  Knowing that I could have killed someone is devastating, and a risk that should not have been taken.  Because of my actions, I am on probation and am not allowed to even be around alcohol of any kind, for a year.  Also, my drivers license got suspended for a total of 90 days.  During this time it has affected everyone.  I am stuck at home and cannot visit friends, and my family has to drive me places.  It sucks being known as a guy who has to ride his bike to get to work.
On the other hand, I feel that I got lucky.  I like to look at it in a way that it is helping me.  Rather than drinking alcohol, I choose to do other activities that are better for my body and mind.  I think straighter and my concentration lasts longer.  While alcohol can be fun, it slowly makes you a different person, and because of my OWI I have learned that it isn’t all about partying and that at times you have to take things seriously and take responsibility for your actions.

CB

No comments:

Post a Comment